Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Catching Up

  Well hey there!... Yeah, I know, I should be shoved in to a wall and then kicked repeatedly in the stomach, then slashed upon with a whip, then brutally stabbed in every visible part of my body until I'm close to death, but not complete death, and then left bleeding in the corner for the crows to come and eat my eyeballs out. Well, maybe a little less gory punishment would work, but that still doesn't excuse that I haven't blogged in forever. Anyways...
  So, you may be saying yourself. What has Giselle been up to? Well... I recently printed off my first draft for my newly named novel Manipulated. Love that name by the way... off topic! Trust me, there is no better feeling in the world than feeling your hands, gently placed under the monolithic stack of papers, your eyes darting down towards the word scrawled out on the pages, and the warming feeling you get when you realize, hey I wrote a book.
  And then you start reading it.
  Your life is screwed by then, you catch mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake until you feel like you want to shoot yourself in the face! It's not necessarily that the writing isn't good... it's just... yeah, the writings bad. I don't know, there's something about seeing the words printed on the page that can bring a tumultuous whirlwind of emotions, happiness, excitement... depression, anxiety... you see the range?  
  At the moment, I'm waiting on more feedback from friends and family about the book so when I actually go and sit down and start editing I'll have things in mind to change and fix. So, the printed manuscript has been shoved in a drawer, (open, upon request of my family) and never sees the light of day.
  So, where does this leave Giselle? What adds meaning to her life now that what was once the sole purpose in it has been shut from her vision, leaving her with the absence of her one true love?! Well, between schoolwork, church, and play practice what else could I be doing, uh... Writing! Duh!
  I started working on two new novels, which both have completed first chapters, and I write whichever I feel like when I find the time. One is called Fading. It's set in a dystopian society (I don't know why I love to write about dystopia so much) and it's about this girl named Rayn. In her world, seers are the rulers, or men who can see the future. Whenever a child is born, that child is given an aura, a prophecy telling that person exactly what is going to happen in said person's life. For those LDS/ Mormon people out there, it's basically has the same set up as a patriarchal blessing, very discreet. This story was actually inspired through a patriarchal blessing (not mine.) But, it's not like a patriarchal blessing because auras are bad (and patriarchal blessings obviously, aren't) Crap! I don't want to give too much away so that's all I can tell you about that for now, but it turns in to the whole, my whole life is a lie kind of thing, and now I have to tell everyone I know, but none of them will believe me scenario, sooo, I'll see how that works out.
  My second book is titled Daughters of the Ocean. It takes mermaids to the next level. In a way it's kind of dystopian (what's wrong with me?!) But I really like the premise. Under the ocean, mythical creatures have existed, but not only do they exists, an oppressive society is developed between the creatures living there, otherwise known as the daughters of the ocean. Syrians (or sea witches) have taken control over all living things under the ocean, including the daughters of the ocean, the mermaids, sirens, and nymphs. A human scientist finds out about this and is like, guys I found out mermaids, sirens, naiads, and sea witches exist! They of course, shun him and a ton of other stuff happens.
  I'm hoping to get somewhere with these two blooming ideas, but I know they'll be destroyed with plot holes and grammatical errors soon enough and I'll want to rip both of them in half. BUT, for now, I love both ideas and I am perfectly content with writing both whenever I can. So, to end this catching up post, I'll leave a little teaser for you on the book that I consider my favorite of the two, Daughters of the Ocean. And don't worry, I promise from now on I'll be a good little blogger and update when I find time between schoolwork, church, play practice, and writing. So, without further ado, here is the teaser:


The light of the world above reflected in the clear water beautifully, beams of sunlight splashing our world below, dancing in the deep blue waves above us.
  I almost felt happy.
  But today wasn’t a day to be happy.
  I had heard myths about creatures that, when they were sad, had water drip from their faces, like they were leaking. It was called crying.
  Though I could not cry I imagined that I would if I could have.
  The aching feeling in my chest gnawed at me and the sunlight streaming down from the surface wasn’t even something that could cheer me up, like it normally did.
  I glanced down, the body laying there, curled up inside of herself like she was still trying to protect her life with feeble attempts.
  Her ebony hair still flowed around her head, the wreath tangled with seaweed and colorful flowers decorated the top of it. Her eyes were closed, never to reopen and see the light shimmering from the world above and create pillars for us that reflected beautifully in the water. Her emerald green tail was still blood stained; the water around us couldn’t bring out the red liquid tinted on her scales.
  I had to look away and choke down the lump in my throat that wouldn’t go.
  Mele.
  My sister, not yet thirteen.
  She was everyone’s sister, but mine especially.
  The others hadn’t shared their entire life with her, they hadn’t had her by their sides wherever they went, they hadn’t shared the many laughs that only Mele and I could muster, they hadn’t had Mele as a best friend.
  Yet, they weren’t with Mele when the terror hit, they hadn’t witnessed the attack.
  And they hadn’t let her go.
  I thought of tears again, what they would feel like, streaming down your cheeks, stinging your eyes. I wanted to feel them, to know what it would be like to let out all the emotions I felt in a flurry of sorrow.
  The voices began then, the high soprano voices lifted high in to the air, melodic and serene. Everyone around me was singing, their mouths opened in O formations, beautiful notes ringing through the water. They were hypnotic, capable to put anything at ease.
  Except for me.
  I opened my mouth as well, ready to hum a quiet lullaby as farewell for Mele, but when I opened my mouth no sound escaped, I couldn’t do it.
  I watched as her fragile body was dropped, and the waves dragged her away, her dark hair still flowing behind of her like a stream of night.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhh!!!! I super want to read Manipulated. Maybe because I started a Scott Card book about how the people with telepathy began to control the world, but were tragically slaughtered in a coup.... any way, I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I'll email it to you if you want me to. Be warned, it's very sloppy at the moment. I think I have your email on facebook or something.

      Delete